Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Another day, another few adventures

Apr. 27

                 Breakfast was set for 7:00, so I sprang out of bed at 6:48. Maduros, bread and tea make for what I now call a perfectly acceptable breakfast. Cheese and yucca were also available, but I took advantage of the serve-yourself conditions to not serve myself those particular items.

                I shared some of my testimony after breakfast, and Héctor, Dicson and Palmira (I think I forgot to mention earlier that Palmira is Palmira Rojas, Celmira's older sister.) arrived somewhere around 8:30 to collect Olinda and travel on. I stayed downstairs with Sra. Adela for a little longer to visit and then went to my room to answer some emails and get my things ready. I may have to iron my pink shirt to try and dry it! (I ended up just taking the shirt damp.)

                Elvia and I caught a car to Moyobamba somewhere around 10:30 and had an early lunch there before traveling on to San Miguel. It was nice to share stories about going into the work and different other experiences over a leisurely lunch time. Our juices were camu camu (pink) and chicha morada (purple).
Author's note:
Unfortunately, some of my pictures from this day seem to be missing, including my pictures of our lunch in Moyo. Hopefully, I'll be able to locate them as I continue on my blogging journey.


                One of Sra. Orfelina's questions after we arrived was, "What time is the meeting, señoritas?" Ummmmm.... There's actually no meeting written on the list, but we suppose we could sing some hymns and share a few thoughts... So, 7:30? Guess we'd better get thinking meeting thoughts! Maybe we can meditate at the waterfall. Or maybe not since our guides are three very talkative, but very sweet, children - twins Becki and Ooger (?) and younger cousin, Anaí. They had met us as soon as we got out of the combi upon our arrival, exclaiming, "¡Siervas! ¡Siervas!" and running to give us great big happy hugs. 
Author's note:
All of my waterfall pictures are missing as well, so I'll just have to include the few that Elvia sent me from that day.

Across the street from Sra. Orfelina's

Looking back toward town

Heading down the road




                Supper was rice, potatoes, and chicken.

                Overheard downstairs as we were upstairs getting ready for the meeting: Sra. Orfelina to granddaughters - "Yo quiero que estén tranquilitas en la reunión. Que estén calladita y que no estén..." (Interrupted by granddaughter, Anaí, who helps Grandma out by finishing her sentence) "...muevándose." Of course!
Author's note:
So, this isn't really funny unless you know Spanish, but...
Orfelina said to her granddaughters, "I want you to be calm in the meeting.  Be quiet and don't be..." Anaí's helpful finish to the sentence... "be moving."  What makes it funny is you know Spanish is the way that she conjugated the verb.  Anyway, she got the idea.  

                There were nine of us in the meeting (at least for part of it) - Sra Orfelina, daughter, Joeli, her two daughters, Joanna and Jami, and Sra. Orfelina's other granddaughters, Jacki, Becki and Anaí. Elvia spoke from Gen. 24, and I talked a little about the sower and the seed, trying to involve the two older children, Jacki and Joanna, in the story. They did very well, and after the meeting, Jacki asked her grandma to loan her the Bible so she could read the verses for herself. She seems like a sweet and bright little girl, so hopefully she will let the Lord sow something eternal in her heart.


                Finally, a little before 9:00 We excused ourselves and headed to bed. Breakfast is at 7:30. The neighbors' music is currently playing us a loud lullaby, but hopefully they'll go to bed soon too. Nice that it's not as hot here as I expected. I'm comfortable in my long sleeved pajama shirt. I'm under the mosquito net because it's here, but I haven't seen any mosquitos. I do have a few bites on my legs, but I think they're from Soritor.

No comments: