Monday, August 21, 2017

Stuck


Yes, it's a picture of a door.  And not a great picture at that.  It's basically to remind myself of the incident.  

We had arrived to Gladys' home after our Tuesday evening Bible study in Tulcán on August 8.  Since the hour was late, and supper wasn't quite ready yet, I decided to get as ready for bed as I could before heading downstairs for the meal.  I closed my door, put on my pajama top, took out my contacts and arranged my things on the nightstand.  Just took a minute or two and I was ready to rejoin everyone in the dining room.  I turned the door knob and nothing happened.  I turned it the other way and nothing happened.  When I say that nothing happened, I mean that the knob itself turned, but the mechanism that opens the door did not move.  "Ookyoung?" I called, not sure if she was upstairs or down.  "Yes."  Oh good, she was still upstairs.  "Are you able to open this door from the outside?"  Turns out, she wasn't.  That meant we had to get everybody involved.  Gladys and her daughter, Luna, joined the party, and after trying a couple of credit cards and a knife, we eventually got the door open.  The bedroom that I use in that home is quite nice, but I wasn't looking forward to spending the rest of my life there, especially considering my slightly claustrophobic tendencies.  We taped the "locking mechanism" flush with the door so that it wouldn't close, even accidentally, during the rest of our stay in that home.  All's well that ends well.  

No comments: