Monday, August 14, 2017

The service

Arrangements had been made that I could go to the funeral home around 8:00 on Tuesday morning to see Grandpa since I had missed the visitation.  I was very thankful for that short time there with Karmen, Kyle and Kalynn.  

Next, we went to Grandma and Grandpa's to practice the hymns that we grandchildren would sing at the funeral home and at the graveside.  

Then it was back to the funeral home for the service.  Jeff asked me just a few minutes before it was time to start if I would like to have a little part.  And while I could hardly fathom being able to do such a thing, I agreed.  Jeffrey Vogelzang spoke about the qualities of an elder, which Grandpa had very much possessed.  Jeff spoke from Colossians 1.  

One thing that impressed me especially was the complete silence maintained in the lobby after everyone had filed by the casket. To me, it was like a quiet, simple tribute to a man who had lived in that manner. As I walked out of the funeral parlor next to Grandma, I was filled with appreciation for all those who showed their respect for my Grandpa in such a beautiful way.

In addition to a hymn, a prayer and a few thoughts shared at the cemetery, military rites were accorded, and then the simple service was over.  

And in spite of our sadness and feeling of loss, it was a beautiful day - a day of victory.  




No comments: