Monday, October 23, 2017

A big first day

We spent what was left of the night after returning from the airport in the home of Gonzalo and Celia Túquerres.  They are the closest friends to the airport, so their home gets often used after making late night airport runs.  They seem to be quite happy to have us!  

Bakery tour before breakfast



Ready to head to the bus terminal for the trip to Ipiales


It's always interesting to me to see my adopted homeland through the eyes of those who are here for the first time.  I realize that what now seems normal to me did not initially seem that way.  And it always reminds me that I'm in for a bit of culture shock when I come "home" again!  


Vendors at the terminal

These aren't especially high benches, but this sweet little lady's feet still don't touch the ground!

Colorful Quito metrobus

Waiting for our bus


The road to Ipiales

These vendors hop on and off the buses as they pass by.

Load of bananas

Mountains rising above the city's background




Since there had been a "paro" (strike) among the public transportation service providers at the border the day before when I had left Ipiales to travel to Quito, I inquired as to whether or not it was still on.  It was, so we decided to see if our Tulcán friends could take us across the border into Ipiales.  They were happy to do so, but we did have to wait for a little while for the man of the home to arrive with the car.  It wasn't exactly how we planned to "end" our day, since both of us were exceedingly tired, both from our late night the night before and the all day bus trip from Quito.  However, we were very glad for the help, and so we were content to wait.

Sra. Maribel, Kim, Abigail




No comments: