Monday, July 24, 2017

My first night in Peru

My flight into Lima arrived on time.  I was sitting in the second to last row of the airplane, so by the time I disembarked and sailed through customs, my luggage was already making laps on the baggage carousel. Then the dear, sweet Peruvian customs officials let me pass through the final checkpoint without even putting my backpack through the scanner.  The two sister workers in the field, Patti MacDonald and Flor Coronel, along with one of the friends who is a taxi driver were waiting to meet me when I came out of baggage claim and take me to the sisters' bach for a few hours of sleep.  The ride from the airport to the bach was possibly something like half an hour.  (Whatever details are not specifically recorded in my journal have likely been forgotten by this point.)  We had a cup of tea before showering and hitting the sack.  When I set my alarm for 2:00 am before crawling into bed, my phone helpfully informed me, "That is three hours and seven minutes from now."  Ugh!  The bach is directly above a sports complex of some kind, and there was some kind of event going on in full swing both when I went to bed and when I woke up a few hours later.  The music rather disoriented me when my alarm woke me up.  I was quite glad, however, that I at least had the presence of mind to turn on my light because I ended up dozing until 2:29.  Oops!  Anyway, we made it to the waiting taxi by 3:00 to head back to the airport.

Here's a sampling of the "doings" below.  Turn your volume all the way up to get the "full" effect.  Despite the noise, I had to keep the window open to keep from suffocating.  

Welcome to Peru!


No comments: