Saturday, July 29, 2017

But now mine eyes have seen thee

I had heard about Ramoscucho before arriving there on Wednesday, April 18.  
1. It's cold.
2. You'll love it.
3. It's quite cold.
4. You'll probably need rubber boots.
5. It's really cold. 
6. You'll really love it.
That's about what I remember of my previous knowledge of Ramoscucho.  And it was all true.  I needed rubber boots.  It was extremely cold, at times at least.  And I absolutely loved it!  

When we arrived, all five of us workers had lunch in the home of Encarnación and Olga, Johny's parents.  (Encarne and Lisho are brothers.)  After we finished eating, one of the workers suggested that "Maybe Kamela would like to share something." And thus began the pattern of the Peruvian rounds.  And thus began my initiation as a visiting worker.  On this particular occasion, I told about my grandparents - about the encouragement of their constant example over the years, about their courage in facing difficult life changes, about how, in spite of the fact, that much of their life is behind them, they are still looking forward.  

After a short rest, we headed to the home of don Marcial and Sra. Emiteria (Encarne and Lisho's parents) for the 3:00 p.m. midweek Bible study.  The topic was "Salvation as a garment"; Isaiah 61.  Though a number of those who attended the meeting were unable to read, they all had a nice little thought to share that enriched our time together.

Supper was at Lizandro (Lisho) and Dalila's.  (As aforementioned, Encarne and Lisho are brothers.  Olga and Dalila are also sisters.)  Lisho and Dalila have three children: Janela, Kevin and baby David.  All five of us workers were present for supper, and once again, after we had finished eating, I had the privilege of sharing something from my "vast collection" of experiences.  I decided I'd better make a list of things to share for back-up!  We ended the evening together by singing a few hymns.
    
Dalila and David

I just couldn't get enough of this little fellow and his chubby, rosy cheeks!

Nearly all the homes I was in in Peru had a wood stove similar to this one where all the cooking was done.

All bundled up in his tub with an empty water bottle for entertainment.

Before supper, Celmira and I took a little walk since we hadn't had much in the way of an opportunity to move that day.
See the rainbow?











After supper, we walked home in the rain and the dark. 
 It was a lovely day, but I was definitely excited to be getting ready for bed before 8:00.  

My last two journal notations for this day:
1. Drip on the head - scrunch down in bed
2. Thank goodness for a hot water bottle to hug!!!

No comments: