Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Moving in

Since I was on bed duty during Special Meetings, I was assigned to sleep at Sra. Neira's, about half a mile or so down the road from the convention grounds.  Thus it worked out that my visitors and I got to all sleep together during the days of the meetings.  We arrived at Sra. Neira's on the morning of June 9 to move ourselves in and get ready for the coming of more ladies.  Everything had been quite thoroughly cleaned before we got there, so our work was really quite minimal.  Even so, we kept busy all morning, heading to the grounds just in time for lunch.

Getting our upstairs quarters set up - laying out the mattresses and hanging up mosquito nets for each one

How you get downstairs








This is the space between the main upstairs room and the bathroom addition.  I'm always a little bit nervous that the bathroom is going to fall off the side of the house when I'm in it!  

Poor Aunt Beth spent this day alternating between the hammock and the bed!

These three mattresses belonged to Katia (right), Mom (middle) and me (left).  Aunt Beth slept on the raised bed that you can see in the corner of the picture above this one.  Laura slept on the first mattress to the left of Aunt Beth's bed.  It was a cozy little corner.  

Looking out the window above our beds
There goes Dani on her way to the convention grounds.

The ground level at Sra. Neira's
Those stairs behind the hammock lead to our abode.




Since we had boatloads of laundry that needed to be done, Katia and Laura volunteered to be our laundry ladies while Mom and I worked on mosquito nets upstairs and Aunt Beth tried to sleep off her stomach bug.
Quick tutorial on the machine


She's ready to go!

Mom's hard at work upstairs.

Before we started laundering, Sra. Neira had informed us that the dryer didn't work.  I didn't even know that she had a dryer, so that was no big loss.  I showed Katia and Laura how to use the washer and the spinner and then headed back upstairs to work with Mom.  After a while I heard a shout from below.  "This machine is smoking!"  I ran downstairs and sure enough, stinky smoke was rising from the spinner.  Sra. Neira had been alerted to the fact that something was wrong as well, so she came running out to the laundry room.  "It looks like the spinner isn't working either," I informed her.  Turns out, that's the dryer.  Oops!  So, that means we have to wring everything out by hand.  No problem.  It just takes a little more time and a few more muscles.  I decided to join the laundry crew for this part of the process, and within a couple of hours the washing, wringing, rinsing, wringing and hanging on the line was finished.  Whew!  


The cows kept an eye on our progress.


Shot from above





Isn't it pretty?!


No comments: