Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Lesson learned


On Wednesday morning, Jan. 20, my second day of relaxing, I received a phone call from Marsha that an elderly lady from my now-previous field, Manabí, had passed away the previous night.  No arrangements had been made, and we didn't know if any other workers would be able to come for the funeral.  Marsha planned to travel that day from Guayaquil with family of the deceased.  So, I would be leaving my little retreat to attend a funeral.  That's fine.  Just how things go.  I got my walk on the beach in and settled down to enjoy my last bit of relaxing as I waited to hear what further arrangements would be made and what plans I should subsequently make for my travel to Las Mercedes.  One of the brother workers called in the afternoon, and I found out that two other brothers would come for the funeral.  Great!  Yes, I was planning to go.  Just waiting to hear from Marsha.  When that call finally came, the first question she asked me was, "Where are you?"  "I'm in the hammock," was my reply.  "Oh, you haven't left yet?!?!?!"  Oops!  So, long story short, here's the lesson that I learned.  At home when somebody dies, you wait to make travel plans until you hear the arrangements.  Here when somebody dies, you pack up and journey.  The funeral will be soon - maybe at a specified time, maybe not.  Just leave.  After hanging up, I ran around frantically doing my last minute packing and closing up of the house and was on a bus within the half-hour, I believe.  I made it to Las Mercedes sometime around 8:00 that evening.  Marsha had had a little service by herself that evening since all the friends had gathered for the midweek Bible study, and there were a number of other people there as well.  The official funeral was at 10:00 (or so) the following morning, so at least I did make it in time for that one!  Lesson learned.

1 comment:

Anita said...

That's just exactly like funerals here. No embalming so you know it'll be soon. So just pack up and hit the road.