Monday, October 28, 2013

Summer Bucket List #55

LEARN ABOUT A DIFFERENT COUNTRY

Don't ask me why, but when I stopped to think about a country that I could learn about, the first country that came to mind was Bhutan.  I guess it was a good choice.  I really knew nothing about it.  

Here are a few interesting facts about the country of Bhutan.

It is actually a kingdom.

It is a landlocked country in south Asia on the eastern end of the Himalayas with China to its north and India to the south.

Its capital and largest city is Thimpu.

Its population is somewhere around three quarters of a million. 

The predominant religion is Buddhism.  The second major religions is Hinduism.

In 2008, Bhutan transitioned from an absolute monarchy to a constitutional monarchy and had its first general election.

It is a member of the United Nations.

In the 1990s, Bhutan expelled nearly one-fifth of its population in the name of preserving its Tibetan Mahayana Buddhist culture and identity, claiming that those they were forcing to leave were illegal residents.

Bhutan experiences five distinct seasons: summer, monsoon, autumn, winter and spring.

The takin, a goat-antelope, is Bhutan's national animal.

Bhutan's national sport is archery.

And my personal favorite:
In 2006, based on a global survey, Business Week rated Bhutan the happiest country in Asia and the eighth happiest country in the world.  (I wonder how they figure that?)

2 comments:

Karmen said...

I always thought I was pretty lucky to live in a place with 'all' of the seasons... who knew I was missing one? I'm feeling okay about it though. Especially if finding a 5th season requires moving to a city named "Thimpu". I do not approve.

Kamela said...

Yeah, I think I can do without monsoon season. I think I would like to write you letters addressed to Karmen LiaBraaten in Thimpu, Bhutan. It has a certain ring to it. :-) You should be studying!