Monday, October 28, 2013

Going BATTY

I nearly forgot to include a very exciting event that was Ardith's welcome to 914 S. Main St.  She brought me to Mom and Dad's from our field, the departure point for Mayo Clinic.  When we got upstairs to where our bedrooms were located, I noticed that all the doors were shut.  Perhaps to keep the cool air generated by the window unit air conditioners contained in the rooms?  Or, in actuality, to keep a "potential" BAT in the bathroom and out of the bedrooms.  So, Mom comes up the stairs, and forgetting the purpose of the shut doors, opens the bathroom door to show Ardith where the facilities are located.  The BAT took his opportunity to escape his prison and shot out of the bathroom.  A couple of shrieks issued forth.  Ardith and I ran into our rooms and shut the door, leaving poor Mom out in the hallway with the BAT.  Somehow, (I confess to being unaware of all of the details at this point due to being shut away in my room until the crisis had passed.) the BAT ended up back in the bathroom with the door trapping him in once again.  Dad located some BAT catching gear and made the heroic capture.  His intention was to trap the BAT in a net and let it go outside.  However, his grab must have been forceful enough to cause the poor little BAT to have a heart attack.  None of us, admittedly, were all that sorry.

Dad and his BAT catching net

BAT caught

Showing the BAT to the neighbors and in the process, discovering its demise

The BAT
(Once I found out it was dead, I ventured a little closer.)

No comments: