Monday, October 15, 2012

A quick run-through

Well, in the interest of time and sparing you, the reader, I will breeze through (or at least try to) the rest of the "sickness segment" by way of a kind of timeline.  We'll see how it goes!

May 6 - Decided to try and make it to Union Meeting in Camden.  Made it there, convinced Jennifer I really could be in the meeting since I was already there despite some possible physical evidence to the contrary.  Made it through meeting.  Got home and went to bed.

May 7 - Scheduled a new patient appointment with a doctor in Pamplico for Wednesday.  Began experiencing symptoms similar to pre-ER visit.  Arranged for doctor appointment to be NOW.  Dr. Reynolds orders a second CT scan and schedules another appointment to see her on Wednesday.

May 8 - CT scan  (No vile drink this time!)

May 9 - Follow-up with Dr. Reynolds.  She gives me two options.  1. Hospital admittance  2. Visit to surgeon for further evaluation  I choose option #2 as I'm not at all interested in going to the hospital.  Jennifer and I go straight to Dr. Hughes' office, picking up a hard copy of my CT scan results at the imaging place.  Dr. Hughes doesn't think there's any need for surgery, and after conferring with Dr. Reynolds, decides to admit me to the hospital.  So guess I could have chosen option #1 in the first place!  The main problem at the moment seems to be severe dehydration.  I get to a room on the observation floor of the hospital and am hooked up to an IV, which they have trouble getting hooked up due to the fact that they can't find any veins!  After that, I'm nice and settled in and ready for some more waiting and seeing.  :-)

May 10 - Third CT scan that involves drinking more yummy stuff.  Since I'm not really able to eat anything at this point without feeling sick, this is definitely not a treat.  I'm supposed to drink three bottles of the stuff, but I'm doing well to manage to get two down in the allotted time.  They tell me that's okay.  Good thing they didn't tell me that to begin with; I might not have finished two!  Lots of company today.  These people who barely know me are flocking to my room, bringing me flowers and cards and puzzle books.  It makes my eyes watery thinking about it even now!

If you've made it this far, you deserve a picture, even if it's not a very good one.  
Fleece waits patiently on a shelf to know what will happen next.

After CT scan, I am moved to the 9th floor.  I'm now an official inpatient!  My company moves with me.  


Excuse the disgusting foot, but I had to show you my two little friends who so kindly massaged my feet with lotion.  They were especially excited about getting to wear gloves!

May 11 - Mom arrives.  I am discharged from the hospital in the afternoon, and the three of us (Mom, Jennifer and I) head to the home of some of our friends back in Sumter for some much needed R & R.  (The hospital definitely isn't the place for that!)

Mom lounges in the hospital room

Lovely flowers sent from co-workers




Mom and Jennifer "go nutty"


May 12 - Mom and I make a trip across town so I can show her where I keep my extra things (as well as the rug that I had finished for Kyle and Kalynn's wedding present) and then to pick up our mail and see my little red-headed friends.  Then she treated me to Sonic for Mothers' Day.  (There are several things wrong with this picture, but anyway...) Whew!  I was ready to head back to bed after such a big day!  

Completed rug

Rug close-up

The next four pictures are a series.




Back "home"

Well, I guess that's it for this installment.  I must break for lunch, but hopefully I will be back this afternoon!

No comments: