Saturday, March 24, 2012

South Carolina - Day #1

The alarm woke me up at 3:30 a.m. on Wednesday morning.  Needless to say, I was not at all ready to get up.  However, getting up was a necessity since we had to depart for the airport at 4:45.  We made it out the door pretty much on time and arrived at the Indianapolis airport at about 5:30.  Boarding passes were printed out at the self-serve kiosk with no problems, and we passed through security without a hitch.  Our flight to Memphis was scheduled to leave at 7:00, and we made it to our gate with plenty of time to spare - make that plenty of time to nod off continuously as we waited in the extremely comfortable chairs in the waiting area.  Despite it all, I was quite excited to be in an airport again.  I love to fly!  Flight to Memphis was without incident, unless you count the way our pilot seemed to be fighting with the wind as we landed.  That was an interesting feeling for sure!  Our layover in Memphis was about an hour, and then we headed for Charlotte - another uneventful flight.  We had a bit of a wait at the Charlotte airport for our ride, so I made use of the time pacing around the baggage claim area, which served the purpose of stretching my legs a bit and also waking up.  Daniel F. picked us up around noon, and we drove to the town of Rock Hill, SC.  There were nine of us in the home of an elderly lady there for lunch.  And what a lunch it was!  Fried chicken, corn, mashed potatoes and gravy, carrot casserole, green beans, fried okra, and possibly a few other things I'm forgetting at the moment.  Dessert was apple pie, chocolate cake and strawberries.  After lunch, we rolled on out the door and headed for Cassatt where we met a few more people and dropped off Daniel.  Then, Alice and I made our way to Columbia to the home of a widow lady for supper, Bible study and the night.  (We also made a quick stop at CVS to replace all the liquids and sharp objects we had of necessity left behind in Indianapolis.)  All in all, a lovely day, and I was quite ready to crawl into bed when I was finally able to sneak away to my room.  I think I was asleep before my head hit the pillow, and my alarm woke me up the next morning at 8:00.  I think I was tired!

Day #1 by the numbers:

  • approximately 1 hour of sleep the night before departure
  • 4 states (IN, TN, NC, SC)
  • 18 new people
  • about 3 hours in the air
  • about 4 hours in the car
And now for a few pictures:




The front yard of the home where we stayed Wednesday night

There are so many beautiful bushes and trees in bloom right now.  Several of them are new to me.  I am planning a separate blog post featuring them later.

Alice and I ready to depart on Thursday morning

No comments: