Saturday, January 14, 2012

My new hobby - Bowling

Well, yesterday I finally got around to starting on Karmen's house-warming rug.  (She's only been in her new house for a few weeks!)  Actually, I must be completely honest and accurate and say that the rug I started working on yesterday was not exactly Karmen's house-warming rug but rather the practice rug I had decided to make as a first attempt.  Just in case.  I didn't want to ruin all the lovely material we had picked out in Shipshewana on a flop.

Lovely material purchased in Shipshewana

So, I began the practice rug using a handy dandy little starter circle that my good friend, Pina Patel, had sent me from Iowa.  I watched the video tutorials on the website I had found (Toothbrush Rag Rug Cafe) over and over again as I tried to copy what the lady on the video was doing.  Finally, I had something that looked like the start of a circular rug.  Success!  As I kept going, the edge of the rug started curling more and more.  I figured that once it got a little bigger, it would get heavy enough to lay flat.  I would work on it again tomorrow (today).  So much for my sound logic!  As I continued to work today, I came to the conclusion that instead of making a rag rug, I was making a rag bowl.  I decided to keep on going anyway, and the final product is rather cute even if it wasn't what I was originally intending to make.  



Fleece liked the finished product.

After talking to Pina this afternoon, I figured out what I had done wrong and hope it will be easy enough to correct on my next practice rug.  Which I intend to start soon!  :-)

No comments: