Saturday, April 12, 2014

An uplifting visit

Yesterday, Janet and I visited our good friend, B, who just moved into a nursing home a week ago.  When we arrived, he was entertaining some fellow residents with some story or another.  Upon spotting us, he stopped his story mid-sentence and gave us a hearty welcome.  His first piece of trivia for us dealt with his age.  He's only had 22 birthdays, but he's 90 years old.  How can that be?!  He was born on Leap Day!  The ensuing conversation was full of laughter as well as serious reflection.  B told us about how he heard the Gospel.  He told us several times that "You can't just have faith.  You gotta have works too."  That's true, B.  He was sorry to see us go, but we told him that if we didn't leave, we couldn't come back!  One of my favorite quotes from the visit was after B told us that he didn't know much but he was learning.  He said, "If you think you know it all, you don't know nothin'!"  I learned a lot from that little visit, I can tell you!  

3 comments:

Anita said...

So- now I'm curious. Burl (sp?)?

Kamela said...

Yup. You guessed it. :)

Anita said...

Thanks for responding- I'm glad to hear it was him! :)