Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Cumbal - part 1

This past Wednesday, Ookyoung and I went to Cumbal.  We took a taxi van from Ipiales to the town of Cumbal, where we met up with don Éninson, Sra. Doris, Nancy (their daughter), Éric (Nancy's small son) and Márlon (E & D's son).  They had agreed to take us to the home of don Ballardo and Sra. Beatriz, who live further "up the mountain."  There we would have the midweek Bible study and have supper before returning to E & D's for the night.  Ookyoung and I rode in the cab of the small pickup with don Éninson while the rest of the family rode on a mattress in the back.  I don't know how far out of town B & B actually live, but the trip took every bit of half an hour.  Only a very small section of the road was cement; the rest was dirt (actually, mud, since it had been raining all week) with scattered protruding stones.  Before we had gotten too far along, I was rather wishing for my own mattress for sitting since my tailbone was situated directly on top of the seat belt buckle!  Lots of bumps made for a less than comfortable ride!  However, the scenery was beautiful.  Even though I couldn't get too many good pictures because of my riding position, I kept trying to play the part of trip photographer.  Here's a sample of what I took.


Apparently, there are plans to improve the road, so there are piles of rock in the middle of the path every so often, adding to the current travel complications.

Looks like it could rain again!  Good thing there's a tarp over the back of the truck!

This road doesn't look wide enough for two! 
Turns out, it was!!!



Passing a horse and cart


Motor tricycle taxis are the common public transport in this area.

Crossing the river

I kept trying to get pictures of people in their ponchos, but I never did get a good one.  
Some day!

Lots of motorcycles!


Dogs waiting to greet us

And also a horse


If you ever get a chance to visit don Ballardo and Beatriz, I highly recommend it! 

No comments: