Friday, March 6, 2015

Today's Spanish Word

POPCORN

When I was in school, I learned that the word for popcorn in Spanish was "palomitas" or "palomitas de maíz." Since coming to South America, I have heard at least three other words for popcorn.  I decided to look it up online and see if I could get some clarification regarding which word is used where. Here's what I found:

Argentina - pochoclos, pororó
Bolivia - pororó
Chile - cabritas
Colombia - crispetas, maíz tote
Cuba - rositas de maíz
Dominican Republic - cocaleca, rositas de maíz
Ecuador - canguil
Guatemala - poporopo
Panama - millo
Paraguay - pororó
Peru - canchitas
Uruguay - pop, pororó
Venezuela - cotufas, gallitos (regional)
General - palomitas de maíz, rosetas

Got it???

2 comments:

Eldon said...

Oh dear, it pains me to think all the Spanish I've learned so far will only work in Bolivia. I'll have to start over!

Kamela said...

We'll understand you. Don't worry about it. :)