Friday, April 3, 2015

Naughty or Nice?

I had thought I would have a nice relaxing day on Wednesday.  I had quite a few things on my list of things to accomplish.  A phone call a little before 8:30 changed all that, however.  It was Karen.  (She had left the suite earlier to work on her own paperwork.)  "Can you bring the paperwork that you need translated and meet us at the Registro Civil?  Benjamin (the lawyer's assistant) says that there is a new requirement for obtaining the visa that you need, and I think it would be better if you talked to him in person."  Sure thing.  Ten minutes later or so I was out the door.  After an interesting taxi ride, I met up with Karen and Benjamin, and we headed for the lawyer's office.

Fast Forward

Turns out, I need a background check from the FBI!  Benjamin didn't know how to go about getting such a thing, so I was left on my own to figure out the particulars.

Fast Forward

When I looked on the website that lists the requirements for the visa I am seeking to obtain, I also found out that I need a police report from the Illinois State Police.  I had gotten a report from the Woodford County Sheriff's department (twice!), but on this website, it clearly stated that such a report was not valid.  State and federal level, it proclaimed.  I spent the rest of the morning on various websites and on the phone - with my dad, the US Embassy in Quito, the American Consulate in Guayaquil, the Illinois State Police, and the FBI!  Seems there's no easy way to accomplish this.  Here's what I found out.

To get an Identity History Summary from the FBI:
1. Print out three documents from the FBI website - request for Identity History Summary, fingerprint form and credit card payment form.
2. Fill out forms & get fingerprinted.
3. Send forms to the FBI through the postal system.  (Probably a 2-4 week process)
4. Wait 12-14 weeks for processing.
5. Have FBI send report to Mom and Dad.
6. Have report notarized and apostilled.
7. Send report through the mail to Ecuador.

To get a police report from the Illinois State Police:
1. ISP will send me the forms that I need to fill out through the postal system.  (You cannot print out any forms on line.)
2. Fill out forms & get fingerprinted (again).
3. Send everything to Mom and Dad.  (You can't pay with a credit card, so they'll have to write a check.)
4. Mom and Dad send everything to the ISP.
5. Two - three weeks processing time
6. ISP send report to Mom and Dad.
7. Mom and Dad have report notarized and apostilled.
8. Send report through the mail to Ecuador.

Fast Forward

After lunch, I set out to try and figure out where to get finger printed.  I had written down the address of the Policía Nacional in Quito, so that's where I headed, forms in hand.  Nope, not there.  Probably in Migración.  Fortunately, that office was within walking distance.  The lady at the desk in charge of handing out turn numbers didn't know anything about what I was wanting, so she sent me to see the in-house lawyer.  My number was 1066.  The people in the other lines were getting called and being attended, but no numbers were being called for my line.  I thought I was missing something.  Every once in a while, someone would just jump up and walk into the lawyer's office.  Finally, I decided that I would have to do the same, and that's what I did.  I never did figure out what my number was for!  Anyway, this fellow had no idea where I would get such a thing done.  Maybe I should check in the police office upstairs.  I left the office and headed upstairs.  The ladies there had no idea where I should get such a thing done.  I should talk to somebody downstairs.  "That's where I just came from, and they sent me up here."  One of the ladies took me back down to the front desk, and she and the lady handing out turn numbers discussed my plight.  Finally it was decided that I should see the lawyer.  "I just saw him; he sent me upstairs!"  Back we went to the lawyer - to the one next door this time.  He was busy attending someone, and it was clear that he was not interested in helping me when he was done.  The lady left me standing at his door anyway.  I waited there for 20 minutes or so.  Finally, he came out and said abruptly to me, "You need to go next door to see the other lawyer."  By that time, the lawyers in the next room had rotated, so I went back to the waiting area for this lady lawyer.  When I finally was called into her office, I started from the beginning and explained slowly what I needed, showing her the website with the visa requirements that I had brought up on my phone while I was waiting.  She didn't know anything about it either, but she seemed willing to help me figure something out.  After a while, she put in a call to someone at the American embassy, and he gave her a website that a number of American citizens have used to help them in this process.  She wrote down the name of the website for me, and I was on my way.

Fast Forward

After spending some time investigating the Gringo Tree website, I finally found the name of a lawyer in Cuenca that specializes in visa work.  I called the office and found out that they would be delighted to help me.  She even seemed to know what I was talking about!  After hanging up, I had about 20 minutes to get myself ready for Wednesday night Bible study.

Fast Forward

Karen and I travelled 9 hours by bus to Cuenca yesterday.  We arrived at the pieza around 4:45.  I immediately hopped into a taxi and set off to find the lawyer's office before everyone left for the day. Today is a holiday, so I knew I wouldn't be able to accomplish anything until Monday if I didn't do something yesterday.  The lawyer was very friendly and seems to be able to help me with everything I need to have done.  Possibly even faster than I thought I could get it all done!  Of course, the place where I'll have to be fingerprinted was already closed, so I'll have to wait until next week to actually do anything.  However, I'm at least hopeful, which was more than I was a couple of days ago!  So, we'll see what happens next week.  I'll try and remember to let you know.

Have I been naughty or nice?  In a few weeks (or months) time, we should officially find out!  

2 comments:

Karmen said...

Sounds like a very efficient system - you must love it.
And I have a guess on the naughty or nice thing.

Kamela said...

Do NOT post your guess!!! ;-)