Friday, June 17, 2011

A lively evening

Andrea Vail and her four munchkins showed up at the Hoots house about 5:30.  The plan was that we would all have supper together.  Then, David and Laura and their two boys, Andrea and her two oldest boys and Rose would head to Springfield to watch a play at the "Muni."  I would stay home and watch the two youngest Vail children, Paxton and Anya.

While the adults got the meal ready, the kids entertained themselves, each other and me.

An intense game of Blokus is just beginning.

Samuel and his bear

Anya and the bear she has confiscated from Sam

"Hi doggie!"

"All this activity is wearing me out!"



Supper was lively but amazingly uneventful.  Dessert was ice cream.

Lots of chocolate!

After supper, all the other adults and all but two kids loaded into two vehicles to head to Springfield.  Paxton was feeling a little left out and unsure about being left behind.  As we watched everyone pull away, he had a rather sad look on his face.  "They're going to ride in the car, and we're going to play in the sandbox," I said, trying to cheer him up a little.  "How'd that happen?" was his response.

Before too long, however, we were involved in all sorts of play with no thought of those who had left us behind.

Paxton making pancakes

Anya helping

Quite a procession!

"I think I'll just move this over here."

After sandbox time necessarily comes bath time.  I didn't think I could put them in their pajamas in their sandy condition, so we went upstairs for a quick rinse off.  We added a few toys to the bath water, and the two of them were having a grand old time.  When Anya started some heavy duty splashing, I decided it was time to dry her off.  As I was doing so, Paxton was observing me quite intently.  Soon he said, "Hey, are you that worker guy?"  Well, I guess I am.  :-)  

Now they're both sound asleep, and I very nearly am, so I'll sign off for tonight.  So glad for all who share their children with us.  They keep us humble, sane, entertained and informed!


No comments: