Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Scenes from our weekend with the Basurto family

Warning: Photo-heavy post

Kitchen

Outside the front door, looking left

Living room (taken from the kitchen door)

Living room (taken from front stairs)

Snoozy kitty

Rebecca took me on my first lemon-picking adventure.



She pulled down about a dozen and then let me do the rest.  :-)  

Lemon sorting

After lemon-picking, we headed out to climb the hill and see the sights "out back".








Jill and I were delighted to get in such close proximity to several of our favorite trees!  


Kapok fluff


Up close and personal with a kapok


Full of cotton


Follow the leader




Looking for the bats

Let's get a picture in case there's something in there!


Taking a short rest



This way!

Kapok pods (or whatever they're called)













First time to see these little fruity things 


Hanging in the hammocks after lunch











The top left window is "our" bedroom.

The front of the house


Plenty of bananas
Plenty of limes

One of the many ways to eat bananas

Just a swingin'


The tamarind tree



Making tamarind juice












Not bad!

 The beginnings of supper


Rebecca's cousin, Daniel, comes to play.
Peek-a-boo!




How supper looks on our plate
Fritada, crema de vegetales, verde frita 
(Those are banana fries, not potato fries.)

So to appreciate this picture, which my dear co-worker took just for my benefit, I must tell you about my dream the last time we were in this home.  In my dream, I was home alone (here in the Basurto home).  I don't know where everyone was.  Anyway, a man comes running up the driveway yelling, "The cows are out!  The cows are out!"  Since I am not an expert in cow management, I immediately start trying to get in touch with various members of the Basurto family on the phone.  No one answers.  Finally, in desperation, I decide that I alone will have to try and figure out how to get the cows "in".  I head off behind the house (where I had never been as yet at the time of my dream).  In a short distance, the path I am on kind of opens up into a field, and there are COWS.  Hundreds of cows.  Thousands of cows.  I have never seen so many cows in my life.  They are everywhere.  And they are out.  And somehow, by myself, without the assistance of anyone, I am supposed to get them in.  And as I stare in bewildered horror at all of these bovine creatures, the dream ends, and I am forever left to wonder, "Did I accomplish this daunting task?"  At the breakfast table, the morning after this strange vision of the night, I casually inquired, "How many cows do you have don Guido?"  They have about forty cows.  Of course, this brought about the recounting of my dream, which they all found to be quite hilarious.  They were all very sorry that they had been unavailable to help me, and the general consensus was that I should come "out back" sometime and get acquainted with the setup just in case such familiarity would ever be required in the future.  On this visit, Jill went out to "help" bring the cows in.  I was not invited since I had already had my shower.  :-(  Apparently, however, it's quite an easy process.  Just open the gate, and the cows know where to go.  I'm greatly relieved.  

My mosquito netted bed

Sunday morning breakfast:
Rice, corn, fresh cheese, cilantro, papaya and coffee

Jill and Eddy (the grandson of a couple of our friends) after Sunday morning meeting
He's looking forward to the day when he will be taller than Srta. Jill.

No comments: