Saturday, June 15, 2013

Locked Out

Ardith and I spent a the last few days of April and the first few days of May at Royce and Sue K's house while they were visiting their new grandbaby in Texas.  We enjoyed our time there, and everything "went off without a hitch"...with a couple of exceptions.  Here are a few photos from one of the exceptions.






No, we were not locked out of the car; we were locked out of the house!  When I arrived "home" after running a few errands on Tuesday afternoon, Ardith was waiting for me on the porch.  Had been waiting for about an hour as it turned out.  I hadn't been in any hurry in town!  She had the house key, but it was to the deadbolt only, and the other lock had been engaged.  We had no key for that one!  I did what she had already done and walked around and around the house searching for some other mode of entry.  No luck.  Fortunately I had my cell phone.  (Ardith's was locked in the house.)  I called Royce and Sue's son, Brett, hoping that he would have a key.  No answer.  I called Royce's two sisters-in-law, wondering if they would possibly have keys.  No luck.  Brett called back and told me to try and call his cousin, Kevin, a police officer in Pleasant Plains, the next town over.  Maybe he could help.  Meanwhile, Brett was on his way back to Ashland and would swing by as well.  Long story somewhat shorter: Kevin (in uniform and driving an unmarked police car) and Brett arrived at nearly the same time, both with kits to get into a locked vehicle.  (There was a garage door opener in Royce's car in the driveway that was our only hope of getting into the house.)  They worked for a while and finally succeeded at opening the car.  Garage door was opened, and we gained access to the house and all of our belongings inside.  Brett and Kevin became our heroes!  Needless to say, we were very careful about locking the doors for the remainder of our stay there.  :-)  

No comments: