Tuesday, January 27, 2015

'Twas the night before Departure

Over the holidays, Dad surprised us with a special treat.  He borrowed a slide projector and dug out our old family slides for a wonderful evening of reminiscing.  We didn't make it through all the slides in one night, so we decided to take the equipment with us to the hotel the night before I left for Ecuador to finish the show.  It made for lots of laughs and a few cringes as well.  ("You let me leave the house looking like that?!")  :-)  

Dad mans the projector as Mom and the grandparents look on

Since Kyle and Kalynn weren't present in body, we Skyped them in on the slideshow.

Skype conversation after we were finished watching slides.  There's something about siblings that brings out the funny in you!  


I just want to add a note here that there are many "events" leading up to my departure for Ecuador that didn't get recorded, people who didn't get "acknowledged."  Since finding out the plans for me to labor in South America, an amazing number of people have greatly contributed to make my "getting ready days" wonderful.  I appreciated and appreciate so much those who helped me in so many ways -  packing, taking care of paperwork (of various and sundry kinds), getting rid of stuff, shopping, organizing, etc.  Thank you to those who wished me well and said, "We'll be thinking of you."  Thanks to everyone who showed interest in my new area of labor and asked questions I didn't know the answers to.  I'll try to learn a few things and get back with you!  Thank you for cards and notes and gifts and handshakes and hugs.  Thanks for sending greetings to the people in Ecuador.  It means so much to know that while I'm here, there will be people there who continue to live as they have been living - steady, constant, true.  Memories don't take up space in a person's luggage, and for that I'm very thankful.  I wouldn't have made it past the ticket agent in Milwaukee!  

No comments: