Monday, October 13, 2014

Good-bye Wisdom

After dealing with wisdom tooth related pain off and on for several years, I decided the time for extraction had come.  As soon as Rebecca and Kim left us, I headed for Mom and Dad's.  I had an appointment for a regular cleaning the following day, May 21.  (As well as an eye doctor appointment.  Hey, you might as well get it all done at once, right?)  So, I saw Dr. Wynn at 3:00 on Wednesday.  Here's an approximate transcription of our conversation.

Him: Where are you living now?
Me: I'm in southwest Indiana.
Him: So, what brings you up this way?
Me: I'm here to see you.
Him: You came all the way from southwest Indiana to see me?!
Me: Yep.  (We had already established that my wisdom teeth needed to come out.)
Him: So, how long are you sticking around?
Me: That depends on when I can get an appointment to get my teeth out.
Him: Really?  How about tomorrow?
Me: Are you free tomorrow?  Can you do that?
Him: I'm the boss here.  I can do whatever I want.  I'll be here tomorrow before we open the office, and we'll get you taken care of.
Me: Wow!

And that's what happened.  When I got to the office the next day around noon, he met me at the door with a sandwich in his hand.  "I'm just finishing up."  The guy's an expert!  I didn't even know when he pulled the last one.  I thought we still had one more to go when he announced that he was all done.  The best part was next.  He wanted me to take some pills - antibiotics of some sort and pain pills maybe?  No big deal as long as your mouth isn't numb.  Then it's a different story.  I took the small handful of pills he held out to me and proceeded to try and get them in my mouth.  (I was holding over the sink.)  No luck.  We decided to go one at a time.  I gave the rest back to him and took one.  I put it where my mouth resides on my face, tipped the cup of water up like I usually do, dribbled some into the sink and swallowed.  "Did it go down?" asked Dr. Wynn?  "No idea."  (Actually, I didn't say anything.  I just shrugged.  Talking was not a strong suit of mine at that moment.)  "Let me see."  I obediently opened my mouth and he declared it pill-free.  Repeat times 5 or 6 or however many there were, and I was free to go in just over an hour after I came in.  Dad and I had a lovely conversation on the way home in which he mainly laughed at my attempts to communicate using a tongue that felt approximately the same size as a baby elephant.  All in all, a pretty easy wisdom tooth extraction experience.  And I must say, I don't really miss them!

3 comments:

Karmen said...

Hee hee. Wish I would've been Dad :) (Maybe the only time I'll ever say that???)

Kamela said...

Yeah, I'm sure he was quite entertained. :)

Bennie Chandler said...

Ecuador looks like such a beautiful country! I have never had the pleasure but I have been to Cuba. There are many great things in Latin America from the food to the kind people. Some of these pictures make me miss Cuba. Whenever I go I am always surprised by how genuinely kind everyone is. Hopefully you are enjoying yourself and making the best of such a great life experience.

Bennie Chandler @ Pine Creek Dental