Monday, January 20, 2014

Bright? Not so much. Early? Definitely.

On Thursday morning, I decided to get up and watch the sunrise.  The night before, Google had informed me that daybreak was at 5:51 am and sunrise would occur at 7:19 am.  Not knowing exactly when the "action" would occur, I decided "the earlier the better" for my morning expedition.  What I learned was that daybreak is no spectacular event.  When I headed down the pier at 5:45 with my camera, my phone, my hot water and Fleece, I was looking forward to splendor and grandeur of the greatest kind.  I can't say that's what I got, but the experience was an amazing one nonetheless.

Looking toward the island on the other side of the Intra Coastal Waterway, I loved this thought.  Those lights that were so important at the moment would become completely insignificant with the rising of the sun.  "We would see Jesus; Other lights are paling..."  

6:00 am
180 (or 200) degree pan from the end of the pier

Maybe this is daybreak?

6:34 am

"I shall see Him in His beauty when the shadows flee away."

Like our good friend, Harry Brownlee, used to tell us, "The rising sun is silent, but no human power is great enough to stop it."  

6:52 am

Fleece patiently waits.

7:00 am

Low tide on the Intra Coastal

Looking back up toward the house

Now it's light enough to see where I've been perched for the last hour or so.

Miss Frigid
I had on my pajama shirt, another long-sleeved shirt, a vest and my coat in addition to tights, socks, a skirt, gloves and a scarf.  And I was cold!  


One last pan
7:07 am

I finally decided to go in about 7:15 before my feet froze to the spot where I was standing.  I heard that there were spectacular colors after that.  That's the way it goes, I guess.  Anyway, I'm glad for what I got.  :)

1 comment:

Anita said...

I've been enjoying the earlier sunrises and later sunsets- it's beginning to be noticeable! Yay!