Friday, April 19, 2013

April Fool!

I very seldom play an April Fool's joke on anyone, mainly because I never can think of anything to do soon enough to actually catch someone.  This year, however, I got my mom.  I think that technically I got my dad too, though his reaction was somewhat less satisfying.

I called Dad's cell on Monday morning for the purpose of asking a real honest-to-goodness question.  It wasn't until the phone started ringing that I began to scheme.  When Dad answered, he, of course, asked where we were, since he knew that we had spent the day before in the car heading north.  I was counting on this question and answered as mournfully as I could that we were in Joliet.  Our car had suffered a flat tire yesterday as we were traveling, and since it was Easter Sunday, we couldn't have it seen about until today.  Where did we stay last night?  In a motel.  When were we going to be able to get the tire fixed? Ardith was seeing about that right now.  He kept asking questions but didn't get too worked up about our predicament.  Typical Dad.  I didn't have many more details "worked out," so I ended up telling him pretty quickly that we were actually in Kalamazoo, MI, there had been no flat tire and we had slept comfortably in the home of some of our friends.  We would journey on as planned that day.  Dad and I both decided that Mom's reaction would be better.  He passed the phone to her.  (Dad had been elsewhere during our conversation, so Mom had heard none of it.)  I gave the same story to Mom.  Her questions were nearly identical to Dad's, but she was much more sympathetic about the whole thing.  What a horrible predicament we were in!  After a while I asked, "So, how are you spending your April Fool's Day so far?"  (She was on spring break.)  "Well, I haven't done too much so far..."  Pause as my questions sinks in fully.  "Kamela!!!!"

Well, if I do say so myself, that worked out pretty well.  Maybe I'll have to come up with something again next year.  It was kind of fun.  :)

No comments: