Sunday, December 4, 2011

Life Lessons

I decided that in "honor" of my 30th birthday, I would come up with a list of lessons I have learned over the years.  As I began my list, I realized that there are very few lessons that I can put in the category of "have learned" (past tense).  I have concluded that most life lessons are ones that we learn over and over.  They're not accomplishments.  They're things we keep working on and trying to remember and live by.  I didn't know if I would share my list or not, but maybe I will.  It was a profitable exercise for me, and I would encourage you to at least make one in your head even if you don't put it down on paper.  Here's mine - unedited and incomplete, in no particular order.  (There are 30.)


  • So many things really don't matter.
  • Don’t take things personally.
  • The simple words, “I’m thinking about you” can mean a lot.
  • Happiness is a choice.
  • When people talk to you, listen to them.
  • Don’t judge; there are a lot of facts you don’t know.
  • Be patient.
  • Kindness is powerful.
  • Think before you speak.
  • Look for what you can appreciate in people.
  • Worrying is completely unprofitable.
  • Let people know that you appreciate them.
  • Children are amazing teachers.
  • Enjoy today.
  • Trust God.
  • Having God’s approval is all that matters.
  • When you’re full, quit eating.
  • Be flexible.
  • Say, “I’m sorry.”
  • Do all you can do, and then accept it.
  • Be honest.
  • Be gentle.
  • Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
  • God’s timing is perfect.
  • If you want the fruit, you have to be willing to pay the price to get it.
  • Learn from the experiences of others.
  • Respect the sacrifices of others.
  • It’s easy to take for granted things I should be exceedingly thankful for.
  • Consider others.
  • Each day is precious; use it wisely. 


 

No comments: